A Few Notes on Stain Removal
Carpet stain removal can be tricky. And using the wrong products, solvents, or techniques can cause more damage than good, often resulting in the permanent setting of a stain. For general stain removal on standard household and commercial carpeting, we recommend never using a store-bought stain-removal product. Unless you have a means to rinse and extract the chemical after application, the odds of the product damaging your carpet are greater than not. These products tend to be highly concentrated as well, which means they can actually attract dirt to the area they’re applied to. If you feel the need to tackle a stain yourself, we recommend a boiling water (2/3) and vinegar (1/3) mixture. Apply to the stain, and compress using paper towel or a clean cloth/towel. Never rub.
For stain removal on valuable handwoven or imported area rugs, we suggest you leave it to the professionals. These sorts of carpets can often bleed colour or wrinkle when they get wet. Expert care is highly recommended.
Call Langley Carpet Cleaning TODAY: 604-353-7293
Carpet and Upholstery Maintenance Tips
Regular maintenance and upkeep can extend the longevity of your carpets and furniture tremendously. Here are some tips we recommend to help you get the most out of your carpets and upholstery.
- Vacuum OFTEN. This is the best and easiest method when it comes to maintaining carpets, upholstery, and other household textiles. Don’t forget along wall and stair edges!
- Act immediately on liquid spills. Use a clean towel/cloth or paper towel and apply pressure to the stain to extract as much moisture as possible. NEVER RUB. Only blot.
- For sticky or dried solids, remove surface residuals with a blunt knife, working from the edge of the stain in the direction of the carpet pile.
- Avoid solvents and store-bought stain removers whenever possible. Instead mix 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 boiling water. Apply to stain directly and blot moisture using a cloth/towel or paper towel. Remember not to rub. Only blot.
- When all else fails, call Langley Carpet Cleaning!